On behalf of the League of Michigan Bicyclists…
Please participate in our Virtual Lobby Day being held tomorrow, March 11th in conjunction with the National Bike Summit in Washington DC.
Today, March 11, the League of Michigan Bicyclists is leading a delegation of 13 Michigan cycling advocates to lobby for Complete Streets and more funding and federal support for bicycling in Michigan. We have a full day of meetings scheduled with Michigan Congresspeople and are asking you to back up our face to face efforts with phone calls from back home. Specifically, please help us generate support for H.R. 4722.
Last week, Congressman Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) introduced a groundbreaking new bill to support bicycling and walking: the Active Community Transportation Act (H.R.4722). This bill creates a competitive grant program with $2 Billion to help communities build bicycling and walking networks. For the first time, communities would be able to compete for multi-year funding to build active transportation systems, just as they do for transit and road infrastructure.
When you call, you can use these talking points:
- Bicycling and walking are part of the solution. Half of all trips in the United States are three miles or less, yet the majority of these short trips are made by car. Shifting more of these short trips to biking and walking would not only reduce congestion, air pollution, greenhouse gas emissions, and our dependence on oil, but will also improve physical activity, safety and livability.
- Investing in bicycling and walking infrastructure works. Commuting by bicycle has increased 43 percent since 2000 – and by 69 percent in designated Bicycle Friendly Communities that have invested in infrastructure improvements.
- Please co-sponsor the Active Community Transportation Act (H.R.4722).
Here are the phone numbers for all the Michigan Congress people:
- Senator Carl Levin (D- MI) 202-224-6221
- Senator Debbie Stabenow (D- MI) 202-224-4822
- Representative Bart Stupak (D – 01) 202-225-4735
- Representative Pete Hoekstra (R – 02) 202-225-4401
- Representative Vern Ehlers (R – 03) 202-225-3831
- Representative Dave Camp (R – 04) 202-225-3561
- Representative Dale E. Kildee (D – 05) 202-225-3611
- Representative Fred Upton (R – 06) 202-225-3761
- Representative Mark Schauer (D – 07) 202-225-6276
- Representative Mike Rogers (R – 08) 202-225-4872
- Representative Gary Peters (D – 09) 202-225-5802
- Representative Candice Miller (R – 10) 202-225-2106
- Representative Thaddeus McCotter (R – 11) 202-225-8171
- Representative Sandy Levin (D – 12) 202-225-4961
- Representative Carolyn Kilpatrick (D – 13) 202-225-2261
- Representative John Conyers, Jr. (D – 14) 202-225-5126
- Representative John D. Dingell (D – 15) 202-225-4071
Don’t know who your Congressperson is? Visit http://capwiz.com/lab/home/ and enter your address to find out.
Learn more about the ACT Act at:
Download the issue paper on the ACT Act (and Complete Streets Bill) at:
Please don’t forget to call on Thursday, March 11th, to be part of the National Bike Summit Lobby Day.
Associate Director – League of Michigan Bicyclists